Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Update 1

http://www.cas.unt.edu/~anne/lit_writing/thesis.html

so I was researching just exactly WHAT a good thesis statement was and I came across this site above. ( haha, I rhymed!)

So I originally had this totally awesome idea to write a thesis paper on the overbearing presence of
DEUS EX MACHINA in TARTUFFE.

I wanted to discuss the culture of the time and why it was so prominant in the play, as well as the many instances where it was present.

DEUS EX MACHINA-  An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.

I planned on discussing the nature of D.E.M. in Molier's play...that is, until I found this little fact:

There were two endings to Tartuffe:

one, being the liar revealed, where the "religous man" that Tartuffe claims to be--- reveals his fruad but wins anyway. This was thoguht to be a snub of the churhc and was imediatly censured by teh court and pope: nearly having Molier excommunicated!

Therefore in 1669 (the version we all know and love today) we see an end where the King comes in and saves the day! This not only mullified the treason talk but wrapped a bow on the play.

It was not an artistic descision, but a "please don't kill me" peace treaty.

as I found that very interesting: I shall discuss that....basically....yes.........hmmm.......... let's get started! I'm writing my essay on Google docs---- so if you want, meet me there and I'll get writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment