Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Momma, i jsut jumped out of a window

(This is my History Essay for the Triangle Shirt-waiste factory thingy. I wrote alittle monolougue about it. so READ)

GIRL: All I could remember was burning. The smell of burning cloth, wood, and flesh. All I could hear were screams and cries. Ones that came from the bellies of young ones. Ones that knew that the reaper of life was beyond the fiery wall that had faced them. Many became animalistic: Pushing and shoving their friends and their family out of the way just to save their own petty little lives. Many were immigrates. Many did not speak English, and for those there was no chance of survival. There was a girl by me, barley even 17. I remember working beside her in the mornings, and her pretty face turned ugly with fear. She knew that there would be no hope for her. I swore she could fly. Her mother held her hand, trying to fight her struggling, but she knew it was in vain. I remember hearing her say “Momma, I just jumped out of a window” and then I heard a scream. I knew that this angel of hope had no wings to fly. And yet, she did. But some flights we do not recover from. I saw the elevators packed like sardines in a can. Some clinging onto the railings, trying to climb there way out. I saw others lying at the bottom, waiting to be crushed by their only ride to freedom. The green stairs, were burned to a crisp black and were no good for us all. The 9th floor was the deepest circle in hell. Burning with flames of intoxicating death. If the fire would not kill us, surely our lungs would collapse. I heard cracking outside of the building, and looked down to see many falling to their doom. The only escape from our hell had broken to pieces. Surely there had to be another way. Many were frantic. Many were praying, but prayers cannot be answer in hell. No, no one can hear you in hell. Soon, those will be gone. The prayers will be gone, for they shall be spoken no more. Soon the burning will stop, for there will be nothing more for the fire to burn. Soon I shall be gone too, for there is no hope for me. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. And when I am gone, the fire will consume my body, and perhaps in this hell whole I may find some heaven in the land that no traveler returns from. Oh take me Reaper of life, cut me with your blade, and send my soul to the place I am destined for. Leave my body on this earth to perish with the others, but spear my soul, for it is just and good. Spear the young ones and their mothers, for an end should not be like this. And take me far away from flame, for my end shall not be like this. I am on the ledge of the inferno palace. I am an angel of hope, and I shall too spread my wings over this fiery land.
“Momma, I just jumped out of a window”.

No comments:

Post a Comment